THE ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF SAN DIEGO D/B/A SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL PRESENTS
SAVING SPECIES SCAVENGER HUNT SWEEPSTAKES
PRESENTED BY ALASKA AIRLINES
SWEEPSTAKES OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR CLAIM A PRIZE.
A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS,
RULES, AND REGULATIONS APPLY.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Saving Species Scavenger Hunt Sweepstakes Presented by Alaska Airlines Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of all fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are at least eighteen (18) years or older (nineteen (19) years old or older for Alabama and Nebraska residents) at the time of entry (“Entrant(s)”). Employees of Sweepstakes Entities (as defined herein) and the immediate family members (defined as parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, and spouse (including common law), regardless of where they reside) of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees, are ineligible to enter the Sweepstakes. By participating, Entrants agree to abide by all terms of these Official Rules and to the decisions of the Administrator and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Sweepstakes or these Official Rules.
2. SPONSOR/ADMINISTRATOR: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by the Zoological Society of San Diego D/B/A San Diego Zoo Global, a California non-profit public benefit corporation, with a principal place of business at 2920 Zoo Drive, San Diego, CA 92101 (“SDZ Global”). The administrator of the Sweepstakes is SDZ Global, which operates the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park (the “Administrator”). Administrator, its subsidiaries and affiliates, Alaska Airlines, Inc., and any other companies or agencies associated with the Sweepstakes (such as prize manufacturers and/or advertising, promotion, fulfillment or judging agencies), together, hereinafter will be referred to as the "Sweepstakes Entities." Although the Sweepstakes is administered through an Instagram® interface, the Sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, administered, endorsed by or associated with Instagram®.
3. SWEEPSTAKES PERIOD: The Sweepstakes shall be run from 12:00 AM July 1, 2020 through Midnight on December 15, 2020 unless changed by Administrator at any time, at its sole discretion (the “Sweepstakes Period”).
4. PARTICIPATION: Participation constitutes Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Sweepstakes. Winning a Prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements as set forth herein. Administrator reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Sweepstakes as solely determined by Administrator. In the event the Sweepstakes is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Administrator which corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Sweepstakes, Administrator reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Sweepstakes. Should the Sweepstakes be terminated prior to the end of a given Sweepstakes Period, Administrator reserves the right to award the Prizes based on the non-suspect, eligible entries received before the termination date. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ADMINISTRATOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
5. HOW TO ENTER THE SWEEPSTAKES:
There are two (2) ways Entrants may enter the Sweepstakes:
a.) Entrants must find one (1) or all five (5) “signs” located throughout the San Diego Zoo. Each sign corresponds to a unique SDZ Global conservation research project and featuring Alaska Airlines as the Sweepstakes and Prize sponsor. The five (5) SDZ Global conservation research projects on the signs are as follows:
1.) Hawaiian Native Gardens - Alala
2.) Reptiles – Anegada Ground Iguana
3.) Urban Jungle - Giraffes
4.) Outback - Koalas
5.) Northern Frontier – Polar Bears
Once found, Entrants must scan the Quick Response or “QR” code on the sign and enter their name and e-mail when prompted via the web-based entry form.
b.) Entrants may also enter the Sweepstakes by going to https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/saving-species-scavenger-hunt and completely filling out and submitting the web-based entry form.
c.) All entries for the Sweepstakes must be received by the end date of the Sweepstakes Period as provided in these Official Rules. No mechanically reproduced entries will be accepted.
No Mail-in Entry: No participation via a mail-in entry is available.
6. INTERNET LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. If for any reason this Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Administrator that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, the Administrator reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes in whole or in part, at any time, without notice and award the prizes using all non-suspect eligible entries received as of this termination date. The Administrator assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. The Administrator is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by the Administrator on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in this Sweepstakes or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE ADMINISTRATOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
7. SELECTIONS AND NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS. Winners will be randomly selected within five (5) business days after the conclusion of the Sweepstakes Period by Administrator's staff from among all eligible entries from that given Sweepstakes Period. Winners will be notified no earlier than five (5) business days after the conclusion of the Sweepstakes Period via email and need not be present to win. Only one winner per household. Potential Prize Winners may waive his/her right to receive a Prize. Potential Winners and all persons/guests that will accompany a Prize Winner on the trip will be required to execute and return to Administrator an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability/Publicity Release (the “Affidavit(s)”) (except where prohibited by law) and completed IRS W-9 form within 30 days of issuance in order to claim the Prize. A winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected if a selected winner fails to comply with these Official Rules; cannot be contacted; is ineligible; fails to claim a prize or fails to return the completed and executed Affidavit and Releases, in the stated time period as required, or if the Prize notification or Prize is returned as undeliverable. Acceptance of a Prize constitutes permission to use the Winner’s, name, likeness and statement for promotional and publicity purposes without additional compensation or limitation unless prohibited by law. If a Prize is not won and claimed by an eligible Winner in accordance with these Official Rules, it will not be awarded and will remain the property of the Administrator. All decisions of the Administrator regarding the selection of Winner and the notification and substitution of Winner (in accordance with these Official Rules shall be binding and final in all respects. If a potential Winner is at least eighteen (18) (or nineteen (19) for Alabama and Nebraska residents) but still considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, the Prize may be awarded in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian, who will be responsible for fulfilling all requirements imposed on the Winner set forth herein.
8. PRIZES AND ODDS.
- Each of Eight (8) unique winner(s) for the Sweepstakes Period, (each a “Winner” and, collectively, the “Winners”) will win the following prizes. See PRIZE RESTRICTIONS BELOW:
- One (1) grand prize Winner as detailed below, will win:
- 100,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ miles, which will be credited to their Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account upon acceptance by the grand prize winner of this grand prize. If selected as a winner, said Entrant must provide a valid Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number. If Entrant does not have an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number, they can obtain one free of charge at https://www.alaskaair.com/account/join-mileage-plan. Once the winner receives the valid Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number, prizing fulfillment will be completed. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of grand prize is $999.
- One (1) Second Prize Winner as detailed below:
- One (1) voucher for up to four (4) guests for the “Animals in Action” special experience at the San Diego Zoo. Same day admission for four (4) persons to the San Diego Zoo included. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of prize is $628 and is subject to availability and scheduling.
- 50,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles, which will be credited to winner’s Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ account upon acceptance of prize. If selected as a winner, said Entrant must provide a valid Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number. If Entrant does not have an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number, they can obtain one free of charge at https://www.alaskaair.com/account/join-mileage-plan. Once the winner receives the valid Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number, prizing fulfillment will be completed. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of prize is $499.
- One (1) Third Prize Winner as detailed below:
- One (1) voucher for up to four (4) guests for an Inside Look Tour special experience at the San Diego Zoo. Same day admission for four (4) persons to the San Diego Zoo included. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of prize is $580 and is subject to availability and scheduling
- 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles, which will be credited to winner’s Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account upon acceptance of prize. If selected as a winner, said Entrant must provide a valid Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number. If Entrant does not have an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number, they can obtain one free of charge at https://www.alaskaair.com/account/join-mileage-plan. Once the winner receives the valid Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number, prizing fulfillment will be completed. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of prize is $249.
- Monthly prizes will be randomly awarded upon the end of each of the months of July, August, September, October, and November, for a total of five (5) monthly winners. Each of said monthly prize winners shall win:
- 10,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles, which will be credited to their Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account upon acceptance of prize. If selected as a winner, said Entrant must provide a valid Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number. If Entrant does not have an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number, they can obtain one free of charge at https://www.alaskaair.com/account/join-mileage-plan. Once the winner receives the valid Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number, prizing fulfillment will be completed. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of prize is $99.
- The odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible entries received.
9. PRIZE RESTRICTIONS. All Prize details shall be determined in the sole and absolute discretion of Sponsors. Each Winner is fully responsible for any and all applicable federal, state, territory, provincial and local taxes (including income and withholding taxes). All costs and expenses associated with the Prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided, including expenses incurred by accepting the Prize are the sole responsibility of each individual Winner. No substitution of Prize elements permitted except by Administrator, who reserves the right to substitute a Prize, at its sole discretion, with another prize of equal or greater value if any part of the announced Prize becomes unavailable. A Prize is non-transferable, non-exchangeable, has no cash value, and cannot be substituted.
10. INDEMNIFICATION AND RELEASE. By entering the Sweepstakes and participating in any promotions relating thereto, each Entrant agrees to release and hold Administrator, their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents, participating retailers and any other companies participating in the design, administration or fulfillment of this Sweepstakes and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents, harmless from any and all losses, rights, claims, injuries, damages, expenses, costs or actions of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in this Sweepstakes or any Sweepstakes-related activity, or acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a Prize or parts thereof, including without limitation personal injuries, death and property damage and claims based on publicity rights defamation or invasion of privacy.
11. TAX INFORMATION. An IRS 1099 will be issued to the Prize Winners. The Prize Winner is solely responsible for reporting and payment of any and all applicable federal, state and local tax liabilities relating to the Prize and any other incidental expenses, fees or costs associated with the receipt or use of any Prize.
12. LIMITATION ON ENTRY: There is a limit of one (1) entry per person for the Sweepstakes Period regardless of the method that an Entrant may enter the Sweepstakes. If more than one (1) entry is received from a single Entrant, no more than one (1) entry will be included in the selection process and all other entries will be stricken and disallowed. The potential Winners may be required to provide valid and legal proof of identification. All entries must be fully and accurately completed. Use of any automated system to participate in the Sweepstakes or subvert the entry process is prohibited and will result in disqualification and all associated entries will be void.
Administrator will not be responsible for incomplete, inaccurate, late, or stolen entries or for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Administrator or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Sweepstakes, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Sweepstakes, the processing of entries, the announcement of a Prize or in any Sweepstakes-related materials. In the event of a dispute over the owner of an entry, entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the ISP account from which they were sent. For these purposes, an ISP account holder shall mean the natural person(s) assigned to such ISP account by the Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning ISP addresses for the domain associated with such ISP account. Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted or the owner of an ISP account shall be determined by Administrator in its sole discretion, and Administrator reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Administrator.
13. GOVERNING LAW/DISPUTES: Except where prohibited by law, Entrants agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Sweepstakes shall be resolved exclusively by arbitration in San Diego, California pursuant to the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association then effective, and any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred by Entrant with regard to the Sweepstakes, excluding attorneys’ or other related fees and punitive, exemplary, incidental, consequential or other damages. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Entrants and Administrator in connection with the Sweepstakes shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision, so long as the general intent of these Official Rules remains in effect. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein
14. APPROPRIATE USE OF PRIZE(S). Entrants acknowledge and agree that by entering this Sweepstakes, any Prizes that may be issued pursuant to this Sweepstakes are intended solely for use by the selected Winner in conjunction with the Sweepstakes as described herein and shall not be used for the following: a) offered for sale, resale, or trade resulting in financial gain or profit of any kind to winner or any person or entity directly or indirectly related to winner other than as expressly agreed hereunder, b) provided as a donation by selected Winner to a non-profit organization or for-profit organization, charities, fundraisers, churches, schools, charity auctions, or military entities as those may conflict with Administrator’s existing donation, discount, and/or ticketing programs or (c) used as a form of payment. Entrants acknowledge and agree that any violation of the foregoing would be a breach of these Official Rules and grounds for the immediate deactivation of the Prize(s) as provided, rendering them void and non-redeemable. Winner may also be held financially liable for the improper use of a Prize(s). In addition to the foregoing, any public or promotional use of Sweepstakes Prizes and/or Administrator’s name or trademarks must have Administrator’s prior written consent.
16. WINNER’S LIST: To obtain the name of the Prize Winners for the Sweepstakes Period, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to SAVING SPECIES SCAVENGER HUNT SWEEPSTAKES PRESENTED BY ALASKA AIRLINES Winners’ Names, San Diego Zoo Global, P.O. Box 120551, San Diego, CA 92112-0551. Name of Winners will be available within thirty (30) days of the end of the Sweepstakes Period. Requests must be received by no later than 12:00 PM PST within one (1) year after the end of the Sweepstakes Period.
© 2020 Zoological Society of San Diego D/B/A San Diego Zoo Global. All rights reserved.