Future Wildlife Conservationists
Zoo InternQuest is a career exploration internship for San Diego County high school juniors and seniors interested in pursuing a profession in wildlife conservation. Interns get the rare opportunity to learn from our experts in pathology, genetics, veterinary medicine, animal behavior, reproductive physiology, ecology, zoology, horticulture, and more, by visiting the areas where they spend their day. During this seven-week internship, students meet on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 2:45 to 5:15 p.m., visiting a variety of professionals at different San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance facilities. Meeting locations rotate each day between the San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and Beckman Center.
After meeting with Zoo professionals on Wednesdays and Thursdays, interns write blogs on their own time and submit for editing. On Tuesdays, interns work on site at the Zoo to finalize editing blogs for upload to the San Diego Zoo website. This internship focuses on teamwork, collaborative writing, critical thinking, and communication. Students are responsible for transportation to and from each of the Zoo locations for the duration of the internship.
Watch Zoo InternQuest online, as participants report their discoveries while exploring the world of specialized careers in wildlife conservation with San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance.
Individual students or whole classrooms anywhere in the world can read about the Zoo InternQuest adventures via the Zoo InternQuest Blog.
- Students apply in the spring of their sophomore or junior year and participate the following school year.
- Students must have a 3.0 (B) grade point average or better.
- Students must demonstrate a commitment to conservation and the environment.
- Students must be available for the full duration of the program time. This is non-negotiable.
- Two letters of recommendation are required: one from a science instructor and a second from a teacher, career counselor, school administrator, or other adult who can recommend the applicant for this program.
- The application includes two writing prompts.
- Student writing samples will be critiqued for accuracy, quality, style, content, and grammar.
Questions? Contact the program manager at email@example.com.
The Zoo InternQuest program has been made possible by a generous donation.
More Information Regarding Traditional Internships
Other Zoo Internships—For information on internships available at zoos and aquariums throughout the United States and Canada, check with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).